Thursday, October 7, 2010

Zucchini-Carrot Bread with Creamy Honey Spread



I am sooo excited because this is my first time to ever post a recipe!!

I'm not sure what has taken me so long, because I love to cook, and I cook a lot...maybe that's why...when I cook a lot, I have to clean up a lot, and I don't have the time to blog about my cooking for all the cleaning (and all the children!)
My sweet friend Amanda from Joplin (urr, Webb City!) asked for this recipe and although she probably won't be whipping it up anytime too soon because she is having her third child TOMORROW, I am dedicating this one to her!!!


Zucchini-Carrot Bread with Creamy Honey Spread

1 1/2 c. shredded zucchini
1 1/2 c. shredded carrot
1 1/2 c. sugar
2/3 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cloves

Spread
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. honey
2 tsp grated orange or lemon peel

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms only of 2 (8x4-in.) loaf pans or 1 (9x5-in.) loaf pan with shortening or cooking spray.

2. In large bowl, mix zucchini, carrots, sugar, oil and eggs with wire whisk. Stir in remaining bread ingredients. Divide batter evenly between pans.

3. Bake 8-in. loaves 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, 9-in. loaf 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on cooling rack. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove and cool completely.

4. In small bowl, beat spread ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Serve with sliced bread. Cover, refrigerate any remaining spread. Wrap loaves tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment: