Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Christmas Story (Revised)

In my determination to teach the boys about Jesus' birth and the true meaning of Christmas, I have come to realize that I may have left out some crucial information. Tonight at dinner Tytus began retelling the story to us and was doing a fantastic job. When he got to the part about King Herod "tricking the wise men" and plotting to kill all the baby boys, Beau clearly became aggravated. With teeth clenched and passion in his eyes, he began to proclaim, "that mean King Herod is not nice, he will not kill all the babies, and when he comes to our house we will all tell him that he is not gonna kill baby Jesus and he is not gonna kill baby Cash!" Oops...I forgot to mention that the story took place thousands of years ago (not that they have a very accurate reference to time), and that although it is a very real and important story, the characters are no longer living. He proceeded to say that he would kill King Herod with his toy chainsaw (and no, we do not let our children watch horror movies, but he has seen his father cut down trees and knows that a chainsaw can do some serious damage!) I am pleased that they are both so interested in the details of the nativity story as well as Christ's crucifixion and resurrection and I am praying daily that the Holy Spirit will give me the words to teach them and answer their questions. I am also learning that some things can not be left unsaid!

No comments:

Post a Comment